Commercial or industrial kitchens differ from house kitchens by many key factors. First of all, when we speak about any industrial kitchens we mean its size, accepted aerating system, spacious area. Commercial kitchen designs have a number of other more hidden characteristic features of this kind of kitchens that should be taken into consideration.
Provide commercial kitchens with long-lasting flooring.
The kitchen staff should work in safe conditions. That is why flooring surface is a key factor of a good industrial kitchen. The flooring should be easily washed, durable and free from doing harm to anybody.
Apply ceramic tile or colored concrete to the floor design. These materials can resist daily traffic. They are also resistant to slip danger. You may reduce the accidents risks by applying a little grainy material.
Rubber is another comfortable and safe material, suitable for flooring in industrial kitchens. Safety rubber rags are usually placed in the working spaces because there can be unpleasant situations with spilling liquids. Moreover, the rugs reduce intention on legs and knees of the employees.
Commercial kitchens need maximum extra space for traffic. It would be better to create a scheme with spots where the workers stand and their possible movements to provide themselves with all necessary things.
Draw the lines which indicate the workers’ tracks. Mind that any crossings are undesirable as they may cause accidents. Minimize them as much as possible by planning proper furniture arrangements.
It is vitally important to create an HACCP It means that the commercial place should correspond to Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point term. Industrial kitchen is potentially very dangerous place. That is why your task is to make it less hazardous by means of special rules.
Analyze all places where the workers may face to health dangerous situations. Proper kitchen design helps to refrain from hot temperature or contagion. For this purpose, plan the supplying dock entrance close to the walk-in cooler.
Commercial Kitchen Designs Planning List:
- Save products from unnecessary contacts with dangerous or uneatable items.
- Install central lightning to highlight all the area.
- Install sufficient quality of coolers and freezers to keep the food fresh.
- Use supplementary sinks for washing products and specialized dishwashers.
- Washing areas shouldn’t adjoin cooking areas.
- Equip the restaurant kitchen with handy items (deep fryers, gas stoves, other cookware).
- In some restaurants, there must be microwaves or even stoves of wood-burning.
- As for materials, choose stainless steel countertops with additional shelves.
- Plan a laundry room for dirty aprons and towels and a closet area for keeping clean linens.
Besides, there are aesthetical rules of providing comfortable working space for the staff and may guarantee high productivity and operating culture. First of all on the stage of planning, trace possible walking paths. They shouldn’t cross with one another. Bad kitchen designing results in unpleasant accidents and injuries. Place all zones in the way to avoid useless racing about the kitchen.
Take care about proper illumination and keeping of all necessary items in an appropriate order. The best design is an open kitchen, separated from the seating zone by a glass shield.
Commercial kitchen designs software:
With the help of different software programs you can design a commercial kitchen restaurant, bar, and café furniture arrangement, make diagrams, etc.
These programs have:
- Easy navigation of drag-and-drop items, including rotation, grouping, coloring the items to make them look especially stunning.
- A vast library of ready-to-use images which will help you start designing your commercial kitchen design very quickly. If you need more templates, you can browse the Internet to find the variant you like.
- A possibility of making a document of various formats from a basically installed graphic file (MS PowerPoint Presentation, HTML, MS Visio XML, PDF file and Adobe Flash).
To save the layout projects and insert voice commands in their explanation and create visually attractive images of restaurant kitchens design.
How to create small commercial kitchen designs:
In order to save time and efforts, hire a professional architect designer. He will analyze your current restaurant kitchen state or work out a completely new and efficient kitchen design layout. But before it prepare for him the following necessary information:
- A list of current kitchen appliances with exact measurements of every item. Snap the items or write down its model number.
- A list of necessary things you are going to buy. Learn their characteristics, paying special attention to their impact on gas and electricity consuming, their operation abilities if you are planning to install used equipment.
- Estimate the area you need and thing over the possibilities of enlarging the existing space. You can use built-in appliances, multilevel shelves, various roll-our cabinetry and drawers, sliding doors, etc., which save every inch of your little restaurant kitchen.
- Equip the kitchen with the number of working places.
- Organize complementary storage space for restroom, clothing and changing areas.
- Provide your kitchen with an additional power source for particularly important supplies in case of electricity supply shortage.
- Insure all the property.
- Get the permitting papers and licenses from health organizations. This process may run for a rather long period of time. That is why, it would be better to begin the procedure as earlier as possible. In this case, you will avoid serious problems in future.
Commercial kitchen designs layout:
Any commercial kitchen is a place that performs different functions. They can be achieved by effective operation of special zones:
- Food Preparation is usually divided into 2 sub-zones: for raw meat or fish preparation and cutting/slicing area for vegetables. This zone should be placed near storage zone to provide easy access to the products.
- Meal Cooking is a heart of the commercial or any other kitchen. Here you will install ranges, microwave ovens, kitchen hoods and all the other necessary appliances and utensils. This area should be located not far from the service area.
- Cleaning and washing zone contains dishwashers, three-section sinks and other equipment for quick delivery of clean cookware.
- Storage is a very important zone with many sub-zones for keeping different kinds of products separately to refrain from contagion. It is forbidden to place sanitation chemicals near food and cookware. Cold storage area includes the number of refrigerators and deep-freeze Dry keeping area can be stocked with lasting food.
- Service zone is dedicated for picking up ready-to-serve dishes or to display the dishes to the clients in cafeteria-service restaurants of little size. It is situated next to the cooking zone to minimize the kitchen staff efforts.
How to arrange these zones effectively?
There are three main kitchen layouts for restaurants. All of them are rather good to apply in any commercial cooking establishments.
Layout with an island
Under island, layout designers comprehend placing of all kitchen appliances in the center of the room. This module kitchen offers wide walk paths and better interaction between the cooks as they stand opposite one another in the process of working. This arrangement is ideal for large kitchens, but it is also possible to use this method in smaller kitchens.
This kitchen is divided into blocks where the equipment is situated along the walls. It has an open center for easy movements and communication.
It is a perfect model for cafeterias or fast food restaurants with quick service and big quantities of clients. Kitchen appliances create a line where the opposite ends represent an area for food preparation and the area for servicing the consumers. All the other zones are obscured from clients’ eyes. This is an extremely mobile layout for endless flows.
Commercial kitchen designs standards
The restaurant owners should think about not only food cooking and counting profits, but also about necessary regulations on running the business. Modern restaurant keeper ought to know all the documents that prescribe:
- How to operate and discard of kitchen electrical appliances
- How to follow standards on safety and performance legislation
- When to call the special technical service on equipment repairing
Who must repair the kitchen equipment?
For example, in the United Kingdom, the law demands that in the questions of servicing and fixing the restaurant owner must address directly to the company which installed this equipment.
- Following of Health & Safety Executive (HSE) regulations. There are special mandatory laws and some advice to run. Breaking the rules may cause different kinds of punishment.
- Aerial system regulations. British standards require interconnections between gas equipment and ventilation system with blocking of the first ones if the aerial hood has some problems while working.
- Machinery operating rules (PUWER) demand that all the equipment should be maintained in a prescribed way.
- Dispose of the electrical items (WEEE) aims to minimize the risk of environmental pollution
- Proper water dispose (WRAS) to avoid the danger of water contamination.